/ location

Ednells mechanical

work shop (source: Dag Widmark, Dalslands industrier s. 57 (1999))

/

Långeds Mekaniska

Verkstad today

View from Långbron

towards Läxsjon lake

location

Location - Långbron

The narrow and streamy passage between Laxsjön and Långbrohöljen, the shape and ports of the lock, the framework of the railroad bridge and the road bridge. Långbron, a site that tells a tale about time through all its different features.

Everything stops, the road and rail road opening almost kneeling to the boats when they pass as a gesture of reverence to what was there first.

Långbron is a site that encompasses history and by that development of a region something we hope to be a contributor to in the future. Besides the presence of water and land transport at Långbron there is also an old mechanical work shop that amongst other businesses have been the home for manufacturing of machines for the lifeblood of the region over the last century – the paper industry.

We have now by Bengtsfors kommun gotten access to the building over summer, which means we have a place to house our pilot project.

September 1868

September 1868 the canal is inaugurated (built between 1864-1868). The construction was managed in four years against the estimated seven to eight , in September 1868 the canal is inaugurated with great rejoicing by Karl XV. Century-long dreams had thus become reality.

1 mars 1928

March 1st 1928 Dal-Västra Värmlands rail road was open for traffic on the stretch between Mellerud and Arvika.

1960- & 70-tal

The railroad is nationalized 1948. During the sixties and seventies car and truck traffic increased which meant that number of passengers and amount of goods transported on the canal decreased. With time this lead to the closing of the railroad, June 9th the last train departed Arvika for Bengtsfors. Passenger traffic was closed August 31st 1986.

 

History of the building/Dals Långeds Mekaniska

Ednells mechanical work shop was founded 1931 in the old rail road work shop by Frans Oskar Ednell (1883-1961) that started his carrier at the age of 16 at Fengersfors mill, he eventually advanced to machine master. During his time at the mill he designed the rullmaskin ”Record” which was patented, in turn the patent gave rise to Ednells mechanical work shop. Dalslands first company specialised for manufacturing of production equipment for the paper industry.

The company was founded during the great depression as a way of giving his sons an opportunity to employment during a time of recession and unemployment based on Mr Ednells own inventions. The company was running for about 40 years manufacturing rullmaskiner, kräppmaskiner samt viraregulatorer. Many of the sons later made an investment in their own inventions.

 

The project is supported by Mötesplats Steneby,

HDK school of design and crafts, University of Gothenburg,